HTML5 Video Players have seen a lot more demands with the inclusion of <video> element in HTML5. They allow web developers and bloggers embed videos into web pages and build customized playlists on the websites.
Here we share top Open Source HTML5 Video Players (Online Media Players), that perfects your Web Space.
1. JW Player http://www.longtailvideo.com/jw-player/
The JW Player™ is currently the most popular and flexible media player on the Web.
- It works with all the most common video and audio formats, so you won’t have to deal with encoding issues to get your media up and running.
- It features live video streaming; with both HLS and RTMP.
- It includes variety of professionally built skins and is highly customized for mobile experience.
- It also supports video Ads on websites and blogs.
- It has a flash-fallback player for unsupported browsers.
2. Flow Player http://flowplayer.org
- It is completely responsive player, fitting on various size according to the device.
- It features keyboard shortcuts, Google analytics, subtitles, slow motioning and a lot more.
3. LeanBack Player http://leanbackplayer.com
- It is skinnable using CSS as previous ones as well supports multi language.
- It features different playback rates if supported by browser.
- It also supports player embedded in Iframes and has flash and HTML-fallback support too.
4. MediaElement.js http://mediaelementjs.com/
It is a single filed player in pure HTML and CSS. It has Flash and Silverlight Fallbackforward feature that hat mimic the HTML5 MediaElement API for older browsers.
- Customizable skin includes the TED video player and Windows media player skins.
- It has accessibility standards including WebVTT.
- Amazingly it is currently the core part of WordPress.
5. jPlayer http://jplayer.org/
- It allows weaving cross platform audio and video across web pages. jPlayer supports media formats like WebMv, OGV and M4V.
- It includes a Circle Player, which plays audio: the play progress is shown as a green ring.
6. OIPlayer jQuery Plugin http://www.openbeelden.nl/oiplayer/
OIPlayer is a HTML5 audio and video player with fallback to Java and Flash.
It attaches itself to every <video> and <elements> it encounters.
It is compatible with mobile devices as well.
7. Moovie: Custom Controls for Video http://colinaarts.com/code/moovie/
This is a MooTools custom controls library for the HTML 5 video element. It features: playlist and subtitles support, settings panel for enabling or disabling various options such as looping, captions and auto-hiding of controls bar.
8. VideoJS http://videojs.com/
9. Acorn Media Player http://ghinda.net/acornmediaplayer/
Acorn Media Player is a jQuery plugin implementing a custom HTML5 <video> player with a special focus on accessibility and customization. It provides full keyboard access using standard tab-based navigation, screen-reader (and other ) support, accessible themes, and other accessibility tweaks.
10. Projekktor http://www.projekktor.com/
- It solves cross browser and compatibility issues, adds eye candy and provides extremely powerful non standard features.
- It allows building playlists, stream channels and quality selections and toggling as well. It supports true fullscreen and cue-points for media synced events.
- With additional plugins also supports OSMF for HDS streaming and DVR, and pre- & postroll ads (VAST).
- It’s compatible with IE6, IE7, IE8, Firefox, Safari, Chrome and even works very well with the iPhone and iPad.
11. Video For Everybody http://camendesign.com/code/video_for_everybody
Kaltura is one of the leading video players in many corporate websites. It has developed a full HTML5 Video Library (currently being used by Wikipedia) that works in all major browsers, including IE, by using a unique ‘fallback’ mechanism for the video format as well as for the video player version.
- It provides automatic transcoding into all supported formats (OGG, H.264, MOV, FLV etc.)
- It has been built with HTML, CSS and jQuery providing flexibility to maintain unified look and feel across all Operating System and Browsers.
13. Codo Player Free http://www.codoplayer.com/
Codo player is a simple easy to customize video player. Like other players supports video and audios, with inbuilt RTMP support.
- It supports CSS customization for various themes.
- It claims to be the tiny, fast and powerful player out there with just 38 kB sized.
- It allows displaying the video or audio with poster image in native browser full screen mode wherever applicable.
- At no width or height set, enables fluid layout design.
14. Akamai Video Player/ Open Video Player http://www.akamai.com/HTML5
15. OSM Player http://mediafront.org/osmplayer/
OSM Player is a highly customizable and open source HTML5 media player that is built with jQuery.
It is an all-in-one media player for the web.
It is an industry changing, open source (GPL) media player that is built to dynamically deliver any type of web media, including HTML5, YouTube, Vimeo, and Flash.
How do you find these cool players? Share your views below. Your experience with any of these players, or other open source video players, is always welcome.
Cover Image Source: @maratz / Flickr